Sunday, November 30, 2008

Raccoo-oo-oon's Demise and Blizzards from Nowhere

Iowa City doesn't have an abundance of avant-garde music activity, so when the community declines by one, it's everyone's loss. This year already saw the end of the incomparable Yellow Swans, and now Heather at Volcanic Tongue tells us that Raccoo-oo-oon of Iowa is calling it quits. Nothing at their web site, maybe they're just morphing into their alter ego of Night-People. Maybe we'll never know.

Meanwhile, we did a marathon drive from Phoenix at 7 a.m. Saturday, hitting Colorado Springs around 11 p.m. Good thing. The roads were clear, there were no adverse forecasts, and not a smidgen of snow on the ground in town at midnight. By daybreak, there was five inches on the ground, by noon Sunday they had closed I-25, I-70, and US 24. Here's what the driveway looked like. What good is all that high-falutin' Doppler radar if it doesn't tell you what's coming?

9 comments:

Sharon said...

I'm so glad you made it in ahead of the storm! We only got about 6 inches here. Looks like it saved the bulk of it for you guys. Must be quite a switch from last week when you were taping a bunch of people in shorts!

Loring Wirbel said...

Well, Sharon, it's supposed to get up to 60 tomorrow! It will probably turn the drifts into ice blocks, making it impossible to get anywhere!

Ruth said...

They missed it, eh? Yeah, sometimes weather.com says "light snow" and I look out at heavy snow and scratch my chin.

Like Sharon I'm grateful you made it home ahead of storm. I was thinking about you guys traveling Saturday.

Loring Wirbel said...

16 inches when all was said and done. I still can't get down my street, despite its downward incline, because the car would bottom out. Who knows when the plows will arrive?

Ruth said...

Oh wow. You work from home, I take it?

Sharon said...

That is so frustrating. We are always the last road plowed. So is Abby stuck at home and missing school???

Loring Wirbel said...

Ruth, I've always worked from home, now I just work for myself! Sharon, Abby only had one class today, we'll be taking her up to Boulder in a couple hours. Roads are navigable.

Ruth said...

I figured that you worked from home before too, although I confess I didn't think about it until the snow storm.

Ruth said...

Any more snow over thar? We just keep getting it day after day. Which makes me happy, I know I'm weird.