Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Intelligence Agency Housing Bubble


I first got interested in Corporate Office Properties Trust when the Wall Street Journal identified the company as a virtual real-estate proprietary for the intelligence community, particularly the National Security Agency and National Reconnaissance Office. Not long after that, in the fall of 2006, COPT acquired several key pieces of real estate in the Colorado Springs area, conveniently close to military bases and large defense contractors. Now, the COPT logo is everywhere .... in Interquest in northern Colorado Springs....








In Patriot Park near Powers and Platte...










... and in the expansion of SI International off Powers Blvd. near Peterson AFB. Even when the rest of the real estate market is in a slump, it's nice to know the intelligence agencies are helping us recover from the subprime crisis.



SEPT. 14 ADDENDUM -- Thanks to Mark Lewis for pointing me to this Colorado Springs Gazette article on COPT winning a new city contract for developing a massive, military-oriented business park near the airport. COPT will be owning the durned city pretty soon...

7 comments:

John G said...

Hey I used to work in that middle building!

Loring Wirbel said...

I doubt it dude, that's an artist's conception of a building still under construction. But hey, they all look alike....

John G said...

It really looks like the Quantum building that was half defense work when I was there but, yeah, maybe it's just the new model.

John G said...

Also why would the artist render overweight people standing in front of the building?

Loring Wirbel said...

Beats me, I took the shot myself, it's a photograph of a painting on a billboard, and behind the painting is just the frame of a building! But on to more important things, Rilo Kiley was great the other night, and Orenda Fink from Azure Ray was playing trumpet and keyboard with them!

John G said...

Clearly Jenny Lewis is trying to getter a hotter sidekick than Kathryn Calder, hopefully she'll replace Blake in the band. Can you imagine the harmonies? I'm really enjoying the new Enon album.

Ruth said...

Loring, somehow I lost track of your blog, which you sent me last year. Sorry about that. Anyway, I was looking for your Star Wars book after my friend rauf was chatting with me about 9/11 conspiracy theories, and I found this again. Goodie.

Now I have some catching up to do. Thanks for the link, mon.