Thursday, June 25, 2009

"Crowdsourcing Killed Punk Rock"



Look at that! I'm excerpting a talk from 140 Character conference despite my deep annoyance with Jeff Pulver. Consider this Chris Weingarten speech a follow-on to the "You Can't Tweet Science" post. Call him a grumpy aging Twitter-hater, except most of his points are correct. Crowdsourcing kills most intelligent art appreciation, including music. Crowdsourcing is LCD because most members of crowds are idiots.

Sound elitist? You betcha. To Twitter-paters who insist that "Anything that can't be said in 140 characters isn't worth saying," I have dozens of two-word responses for you: James Joyce. Thomas Pynchon. Lester Bangs. I'd even go so far as to posit the opposite, "Anything that CAN be said in 140 characters probably isn't worth saying," and its corrolary, "Brevity is the soul of superficiality, so go long."

1 comment:

John G said...

I totally agree, unless you are the Tao Te Ching or Rainer Maria Rilke, I don't buy that you can say anything worthwhile in 140 characters or less.