Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Spoon: Bringing Back That GbV Feeling

Seems like I never give Britt Daniel and the Spoon gang their due. Oh, albums like Gimme Fiction and Kill the Moonlight were enjoyable enough, but they never clicked with me enough to turn me into the crazed Spoon fan I meet every now and then. Reminiscent of The Replacements in the 1980s. It became embarrassing to say to some folks that I was lukewarm about Mats and Paul Westerberg, and almost as embarrassing to be blase about Spoon.

The new double-disc version of Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga is something not to be blase about. The main disc, while a bit short, is full of masterfully-produced hook-laden pop gems. The bonus disc, Get Nice!, is a slopadaisical mess of partial tunes, lo-fi noodling, silly huzzahs, and failed experiments that bring Spoon's buddies, Guided by Voices, to mind. Some people will call the bonus Spoon disc an utter waste of time. I call it the soundtrack to your favorite drunken evening practicing with your sucky neighborhood band in the basement. And that is a good thing.

No comments: