Sunday, February 11, 2007

Powers Finished, Clemenceau Up to Bat

Finished Richard Powers' The Echo-Maker, winner of the 2006 National Book Award, last night. While not my absolute favorite of his many stellar works (odd that it was the only one to take NBA), this is a beautiful piece on the nature of consciousness and sibling relationships. It was strange to find so many people on various online review sites say they thought the book "dragged." I found its pace and its character interplay to be ideal. Maybe everyone just looks for more car chases and burning buildings these days. Anyway, I'd recommend Powers' entire body of work any day.

Next up, the official version of Gary Clemenceau's Banker's Holiday. I reviewed the galleys for the Cold.Steel.Press web site at the end of the year, and I stand by my observation then. This book is fast-paced, ruthless in indictment of corporate culture, and is scary as hell and laugh-out-loud funny at the same time. Can't wait to read the Official Version.

No comments: