Sunday, December 3, 2006

"Yeah, I Did It, and I'm Glad"

Augusto Pinochet is clinging to life, and may die before Fidel does. I suppose there's some faint benefit to the fact that he finally admitted, on his 91st birthday, that he was responsible for everything that went on during Chile's reign of terror, and that he has no regrets. Sometimes folks tell me it's the Christian thing, the nonviolent thing, to never wish for another's death or to take delight when they kick it. I may not ADVOCATE such, but I think the world is made a much kinder and gentler place when someone like Pinochet, Henry Kissinger, or Dick Cheney dies. So blowing a party horn when Pinochet kicks it becomes a valiant act.

1 comment:

Loring Wirbel said...

OK, this felt a little strange after I had to deal with the death of someone close to me, but with the number of people throwing parties when Pinochet died Dec. 10, I still would say that some deaths deserve celebration.